Friday, October 14, 2011

Had that baby!

I had the baby! Yay. Baby is good. Mom is good. Dad is good. Kids are ok. I say that the other kids (my other son (12) and step son (17) are just ok because this is honestly a huge adjustment. Both of them were used to having our undivided attention as "only" children. Now they must share the love, which I was not anticipating would be a huge issue because at these ages they have their own lives. But it is. We are looking to do something special for the boys like have Dad take them to a ball game.

When I left the hospital I would say its true that I looked to be about six months pregnant. I am now looking about four months pregnant a week later. I spent a ton of money on the bellibands but I have not worn it regularly. Mostly because I am already pretty uncomfortable. I might try it today and see if it will help me with the pooch.

I am starving because of the breast feeding. Kind friends have been dropping off meals that I devour. I ate about a half a pan of brownies in a breastfeeding state of delirium. Screaming newborn in one hand, shoveling brownies with the other. I sent my dear husband to the TraderJoes to pick me up some more reasonable treats. Such as the chocolate european style yogurt that I love. I also love to eat their pesto on the whole grain pasta. Yumm. So hopefully I can rein in the eating and then the breastfeeding might help me to lose the weight that I gained.

I gained 45 pounds with this pregnancy. That is how much I am up from my pre-pregnancy weight. Here is a breakdown of weight according to the American Pregnancy Association...http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/eatingfortwo.html

Where does all the extra weight go?

Here is an approximate breakdown of your weight gain:
  • Baby: 7-8 pounds
  • Placenta: 1-2 pounds
  • Amniotic fluid: 2 pounds
  • Uterus: 2 pounds
  • Maternal breast tissue: 2 pounds
  • Maternal blood : 4 pounds
  • Fluids in maternal tissue: 4 pounds
  • Maternal fat and nutrient stores: 7 pounds
According to my calculations I should lose about 25 pounds after having the baby right away. So really I am dealing with about 20 pounds to get rid of now that baby is born.

I originally had a goal to run the Turkey Trot but now I am thinking that is not reasonable because of the c-section. Now I am thinking that the more reasonable timetable would include the jingle bell run or the new years run. Maybe even the superbowl 5k. I will need to see how slow the return to running will be after the all clear in eight weeks.

My running background is not impressive by any means. I am a turtle. I like to run slow and long. I do dream of being a gazelle. But that would take speed-work and I hate speedwork. I run races for the fun and atmosphere. I also like to run races to give me a goal. I do not run races for time. Just to complete them. I would love to run a marathon next year. I have run a half marathon and I really thought that was a loooong way so I can not imagine doing it twice but I would like to have that notch on my belt.

I bought a great jogging stroller ( A Bobb) so I can not wait to bust it out when the weather is nice. I am going to buy myself the Ice queen skirt from Skirtsports right now because most of my training will be in the winter here and that is my push present to myself. It will be nice to look forward to a head clearing run (in about seven more weeks).

No comments:

Post a Comment